- Open up two Word documents. One will be your actual paper, complete with the formatting and such. The other will be your brainstorm document. Alternatively, you can use scratch paper but it's more efficient to use a Word doc because you can save/edit/copy/paste with ease.
- Research your topic. Gather any and all specific links and put them in your brainstorm document. Categorize as necessary. Be sure to include the URLs and Dates Accessed.
- Write your paper. Have the necessary pages open alongside your actual paper and start writing your paper. Whenever you paraphrase or cite information, create a Comment Box on that text in your actual paper and paste the URL into that comment box. When you're done, you will be able to cross-reference this source with your brainstorm document when creating your reference page.
- When you're done with your paper, go through your comments with the URLs and add your references as necessary
- You're done!
- These steps may seem vague, but this is intentional. You should follow these basic steps and then add your own style of writing to create an excellent college paper.
- Everyone's writing style differs. This method may or may not work for you. It works very well for me.
- Be sure to read through your paper for mistakes. Double checking is important.
- Finish your paper early then come back later and read through it again to make any changes or modifications.
- Be sure to always save and back up your documents
Good luck with writing your essays/reports/research papers/etc.!