Monday, March 3, 2014

Colleversity Tips - Elevator Kindness

I live on the top floor of my dorm.  I like the top floor because of the nice pseudo-aerial view.

I came up with a good act of kindness a couple months ago. It involves being considerate to people who haven't arrived at the lobby elevator yet.  This act of kindness applies to dorm/apartment buildings but it may apply to other elevator scenarios as well.  

Elevator kindness is simple.  I take the elevator all the way to my top floor.  If no one is waiting to use the elevator at the top floor, I push the "Ground/Lobby" floor button and proceed to my room.  This way, people at the lobby don't have to wait for the elevator to go all the way down.  I don't like to wait for the elevator to come from the top floor, so I decided that other people shouldn't wait either.

However, there is a problem to this: what if the coast is clear when I exit the elevator at the top floor and push the lobby button and then someone appears to take the elevator but it's already doing down?  This is where your personal discretion comes into play.  It is up to you if you want to press the button or not.  I often do this act of kindness in the morning/afternoon when the majority of students are in class.  That way, when they get out of class they can easily go back up.  I would recommend spreading this act of kindness if you know there are more people wanting to go up than people wanting to go down (and the upper floor lobbies are clear).

Additionally, I ALWAYS take the stairs down, so I don't have a problem with the elevator going down.  Perhaps other top floor students can do this too since it is so much easier going downstairs than it is up.  I understand if they don't want to - elevators are more convenient.  I personally like the extra little exercise.  

So there you have it.  A little act of elevator kindness I came up with this school year.  It may or may not seem kind to others depending on if they get the quick lift or if they are left behind.  As long as you time things right, you might end up making rather than breaking people's days!

VerusAnimus

No comments:

Post a Comment