Thursday, February 27, 2014

Colleversity Tips - Types of Schedules

Once you begin college/university, your schedule can vary from quarter to quarter.  It is definitely different than high school where you go to the early morning and then go  home mid-afternoon.

You should consider the types of schedules you choose.  Sometimes you have no choice but to take early courses or late courses.  However, when you do have a choice, it may be better to choose the slightly early classes.

These are the types of schedules I have observed:

  • Morning to noon schedules (Classes/labs are typically from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm)
  • Noon to late noon schedules (Classes/labs are typically from 1 pm to 5:30 pm)
  • Spread-out schedules (Classes/labs are spread out throughout the day)
  • Mix of the first and third or second and third schedules.
Personally, I try to avoid spread-out schedules.  The reason for this is because I find it very inconvenient having to go to class then wait around for an hour before going to another class.  While the break is sometimes needed for catching up on sleep, getting some studying done, or eating, I still like to take my classes consecutively.  That way, I finish all my classes and I'm free for the rest of the day.  No need to worry about going to class later on.

This leads me to the other types of schedules.  Noon to late noon schedules may be advantageous to people who like to sleep in.  However, I don't like these types of schedules also.  The reason for this is because students with late schedules have the tendency to sleep in.  If you sleep in (let's say until 11 or 12) and then wake up just to go to class, you already missed out on half the day.  Of course, if you are the type who gets up early then this may be the type of schedule for you.

My personal favorite is the morning to noon schedule. The reason for this is because I'm forced to get up early.  I finish all my classes by noon and I am free for the rest of the day.  I think I am most productive and stress-free with these types of schedules. 8:30 -9 is a bit to early for me.  I prefer classes on or after 9:30. 

These are the basic types of schedules.  There are also mixed types of schedules.  For example, there is the mixture of morning/spread-out schedules, where you have two classes in the morning and one in the afternoon.  These classes are fine to since you already finished the majority of your classes in the morning.  All you have left is either a class or lab in the afternoon and you are free for the rest of the day.

The type of schedule you choose is ultimately up to you.  There will obviously be times when you can't choose the times you want and you will end up with undesirable schedule times.  Nevertheless, if you had an option of choosing class/lab times, I would recommend taking earlier classes so that you are free for the rest of the day.  You can accomplish so much more, both in and out of school, just by waking up early - even if you sleep late.  Yes, you may lose sleep but that's what weekends are for!

- VerusAnimus

No comments:

Post a Comment